What’s the PLAN??? Who has the plan? My husband’s plan: Get a job in Engineering. Live in Germany. My plan is the same: Hubby gets a job and we live in Germany. HaHa!
My husband, Jason, went to school. He got his degree. He has a career. What about me? I got certified as a nurse’s assistant. I got a massage license, opened my massage business, sold my massage business . . . I sold art here and there. Now I’m in Germany.
I’ve been reflecting a lot on this “Life Plan” and how it works. It seems to revolve around a plan to make money. What was my life plan? Travel the world, get married, live in a log cabin and be an artist. None of these had a clear direction of how I’d make money, it was about what would be fun and what I wanted to do. Does the making money part matter? I’d love to hear your opinion.
So let’s bring in some encouragement on creating your big adventure and how to live life without THE BIG plan.
What about you , dear reader, do you have a life plan? Again, I would love to hear from you. How do you feel about the word “plan”? Do you like it? Does it make you nervous? Is it so wrong not to have a plan?
While I was. . . “researching” this article (*ahem procrastinating) I found this inspiring Ted Talk that was an affirmation to my process.
Here’s the process for you to try out this week:
- Answer this: What gives you peace, ease, and/or joy? What excites you?Big or little. Just think about it. For a time, listening to guided meditations was my main joy. So I allowed myself to do just that.
- What’s the next thing you want to pursue? What’s your next goal?Make a goal based on your answers from question 1. Pick something doable, that can be checked off a list. Pick something that scares you a little.
- Pursue your goal, aim for that goal. Brainstorm what that looks like. Make a list, make this a communal effort. Who could you ask for help or info? This is where you get to be wild and creative. What are ALL the possibilities? If you can think it you can achieve it.
- Try something/DO something towards your goal.Pick something from your brainstorm list and try it. What looks interesting? What looks a little scary? What seems like a simple or logical step? What can you do THIS week? Go do it.
Remember this: I have so many ideas and options! I can do this. I have something I can contribute.
3 things that influenced me last week:
- Man’s Search for Meaning. The book is written by Viktor Frankl, a psychiatrist that lived through the Holocaust. I stayed up way too late listening to it. It had some amazing insights into life, purpose, meaning, meaning in suffering, etc? One day I will do a post on this book.The most basic message I took from the book is that life happens and there is not much we have control over but our decisions and how we choose to react to life is what can bring us peace and help us cope. All we really have is our choices, so let our choices be led by our convictions or what is meaningful to us so that whatever happens we have peace within ourselves.
- In German class the class took a break from learning German and the teacher and students all brainstormed and helped each other come up with solutions to staying in Germany. I was re-motivated and reminded that THIS is my immediate end goal right now.
- ART. I see everything as an art process. Right now we are in the messy sketching and planning phase of a new lie. I DID get a drawing done for my commission this week. I hope to start painting this week. Here is the value sketch.
Let’s put this all together.
How I will apply the 4 steps this week:
- What brings me joy/peace/ease is Art, adventure, trying new things, being a partner to Jason. New things and opportunities excite me.
- My #1 goal is to stay in Europe/relocate to Europe. You know that.
- brainstorms: Attend Fine Arts University and get a student permit, apply to jobs as an English speaking helper at a kindergarten class, apply to wash dishes. Go meet other artists and hear their stories, find art galleries, would they hire?
- This week I will research the University to see if I can still make the deadlines, I will put my resume into German format ( I need to get a pic!), I will search for jobs in kindergarten settings. I will visit at least one gallery and find out where the artists meet up. I can do this. I have something I can contribute.
Now it’s your turn. What’s your next step? How are you creating your best adventure?
“Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing–and keeping the unknown always beyond you.”-Georgia O’Keefe
Last Thing: I want to share this video, a lesson in color mixing in case you need a little painting inspiration. Think about this, we all have the tools we need to create the life we want. We just might need a little instruction or a little reminder about the basics. With a few basics the full spectrum is available to us. So go back to the basics and take comfort in all that you already know. Also, I love Flora Bowley and all the inspiration she provides. I’m always looking for an excuse to promote her and the wonderful work that she does.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.