Ok, so it’s a little late to be talking about new goals but here is what I am up to this month.
I have new goals for September:
#1 I started a bullet journal! Yeah, I’m not much for planning ahead and waiting till the beginning of a new year to whip up a new journal system. Why not do it right now? I have the gridded paper and everything in the Leuchtturm1917 Medium Size (A5) Notebook / Journal, Ruling: Squared, Color: Light Blue Cover which is the gridded journal that every youtube bullet journaler uses. We’ll see if I can stick to this graphed system. I’ll probably share my bullet attempts in a later post.
I’ve also added some new challenges for myself. Feel free to join me and we can do some of these together. I would love to have company.
Challenge 1: One painting a week
My life goal is to be an artist and one of the things I found I was lacking in that area is that I wasn’t doing much art. Also, I’m not sure how long my stay in Germany will be so I am doing my best to make the most of it and literally CREATE memories.
Challenge 2: Create every day (just 15 min)
I already do The Artist’s Way: 25th Anniversary Edition journaling method in which I write 3 pages every day. As an artist, I’m curious about the sort of things that lurk in my subconscious that might come out if I doodle and put color on paper. Hopefully, this will give me some great insight about myself and maybe start some ideas.
I hope that I will open up some revelations about myself and next steps in my life. Also, it will give me more things to share with you. Perhaps I will find some resources for encouragement. Is there something you would like to see me work on in my sketchbook? Please comment below. Maybe I’ll try it out.
Challenge 3: Eat a cup of vegetables
The first 3 months I was in Germany my “vegetable” consumption consisted of potatoes. Right now my self care consists of walking every day. I aim for 10,000 thousand steps a day and I’m pretty consistent about that. Now I want to add some good eating. When I travel I am on a budget and the first way I cut expenses is I spend less on what I eat and my poor body suffers for it. Today I actually found (and ate) a vegan salad.
Encouragement is Everywhere
Today I went out to do my weekly painting. I didn’t have a place scoped out. I was tired, I was hungry, I didn’t feel like painting but I wanted to see if I could turn my attitude around. All I wanted was green grass to sit in, maybe some dappled sunlight. I found just the spot right outside of Hauptbahnhof, the main train station.
I sat and painted, focusing on bright blocks of color instead of little details. Painting for me is a resource of encouragement. One of the by products of painting outdoors is that every time I paint outside I meet someone that inspires me to keep going. This was actually the motivation I used to get out and paint. I was waiting for encouragement to show up, to make that connection, and he did, right when I was packing up.
I was able to communicate in German with this other artist who had a sketchbook full of animals and castles AND THEN he told me that there is an “Urban Sketching” group that meets up once a month in Munich!!!! I have artists to meet!!! I even remembered to pack business cards with me so I handed one off to my new artist friend. Yes, I accomplished my goal in creating my piece of weekly art and I found my encouragement.
That got me thinking about what my other resources of encouragement are. My mottos:
Do what you love
Follow your dreams
I have been struggling with how to share and WHAT to share as an artist that is WRITING. Like, what they hey? What am I doing blogging? I PAINT so I don’t have to write my thoughts and feelings. Now I have to write about what I painted? It’s seems so redundant. So, today, I’m leaving you with a simple list. I’ve been reading about “how to blog” and all the instructions are to “give value”. I don’t know what is “valuable” about talking about myself BUT I do love to connect people and I love making lists. That is what I have decided to do today. I hope you find this list helpful:
5 life changing resources of encouragement
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear I read this book, took notes, and then gave it away – well, for now. I discovered it the year that I chose “Magic” as my word of the year and the colorful cover had me loving it instantly. The bottom line of this book is to DO. CREATE. BE YOU. That’s what your purpose and JOB in life is. Whatever you are passionate about, you are meant to do that and the SUCCESS is in the completion or the doing of it, not fame and fortune. SO don’t worry about the rest. Whenever I struggle, when I get bogged down in the plans and stats, I remember this.
- Zach Anner. I first discovered him as I was looking for workout videos and here was this guy stuck in a wheelchair posting workout videos full of motivational quotes and lots of yelling. Are you feeling down? Just let him pump you up. He has his own business, he’s funny, and now he is using his celebrity to promote causes. He’s just amazing. Here’s my favorite video of all of his. I have watched this over and over:
- ZenHabits.net I’m a list maker and a recovering “should-er”. Zenhabits.net was the first place that I found that told me doing less was ok, and that it was actually GOOD. Such a sigh of relief. Start here as a nice intro to what it’s all about. Just the layout is so refreshingly simple.
- THIS is the article I needed to read this week. I am so grateful to have a network of bloggers and inspirational entrepreneurs to encourage me and give advice. The message: Just keep going and do what you love!! AND if you don’t love it any more, STOP doing it. So simple.
- Clark Kegley, my NEWEST youtube channel subscription. I love this guy! He has SO much info but the encouragement I found was in the journaling. It’s like you’re watching a guy take in inspirational books and motivational speakers and then he applies them to his life and he shows you how. You can SEE how his youtube channel has drastically grown over the years as he has set goals for himself and applied them. I just spent the last 2 days binge watching his videos, I watched over 20 of them. I don’t even remember which one pulled me in.
Youtube pro tip: Watch videos in double time speed
Was that helpful? I love lists and I have so many more lists of things that have changed my life. I’d love to share more with you. Please share your favorite sources with me in the comments and I’ll build more blog posts.
If you liked this article will you please do me a huge favor and share it? I’ve created a pin for you. Your help is awesome. Thank you for your support. Subscribe if you would like updates of my blog.